Tuesday, March 23, 2010

THE ICEMEN



Here's the latest band that is blowing my mind right outta my fucking head: New York City's THE ICEMEN! This band formed in the early 80's around the same time the New York hardcore scene is starting to roll but didn't release anything until 1992 with their only EP, R.I.P. Obviously, this cult status means they are simply amazing.

I heard of these guys when connecting various NYHC people together. One of my favorite drummers, Mackie Jayson from Cro-Mags and Madball, played with these guys and I've heard a few songs by them a while ago. Last night I was lurking in Generation Records with some friends before the Ace Frehley show and I stumbled upon the band's second official release, The Iceman/It'll Be Your Grave 7" single.

This single pretty much has everything I love about hardcore punk and metal. It's quite evident from the first few measures of "The Iceman" that these guys, rounded out by guitarist/vocalist Marco Abularach and bassist Noah Evans, worship heavily at the altar of Motörhead. Add Mackie's signature power-drumming style and you have some totally crushing crossover. "It'll Be Your Grave" has some serious Bad Brains feeling and this dates back before Cro-Mags(!)... no shit.

I seriously can't stop listening to this. I'm pretty happy that it came with a download card. This is 4 and a half minutes of solid fucking gold!!

No comments:

Post a Comment